Monday, April 07, 2008

GMAT & starting with it

When you are a beginner to GMAT and other such management entrances, rule number one is - START EARLY. I cannot emphasize this more, because I procrastinated and lost out on a lot of time. You cannot afford to push things at a later date. Simply because you never know what other commitments might crop up. If you are studying, your college exams. If you are working, some new important project. In either case, you would hate it if something came between you and the GMAT at the last moment. Hence, plan ahead, start early.

Let your boss at office know that you have plans to take the GMAT. That way, you will get days off and study leaves. They might view you in a different light the moment you reveal your plans, but believe me, telling the truth helps. It keeps things transparent, avoids the burden of lying and hiding, and makes your position comfortable. Now transparency works for me. I have fallen into a lot of traps when I tried to hide my plans. There are some who would like to conceal their plans and it works for them. Take a call! Do whatever you are comfortable with. I would just say - Do not take risks that you are not sure of handling!

If you do the first and the second thing - starting early and being transparent about your plans at office, it will help you to plan the entire study schedule of your GMAT for 2-3 months. Sit and plan with your boss when you would like to have the leaves.. In present times, superiors are understanding enough and they give you complete freedom to choose, provided work is not affected. Plan out the schedule in such a way that neither work is affected nor your exams. Then take a GMAT date. The BIGGEST advantage of this is: You wont have to fake anything in office and worry if they will find out. Hence, you will concentrate on studies when you should!

Another reason why you should be transparent at workplace - you can get your recommendation letters! Because I had not told my office guys about my plans, I could of course not ask them for the recos! I had to go to my previous employer with whom I worked only for 5 months. I would have loved to have someone from my present company recommending me!

WORD OF CAUTION: When I say reveal your plans - I do not say go on the terrace and shout out loud that you are giving the GMAT! Just let those people know who should know. There is no need for your colleagues and co-workers to know about your plans. Be professional about work! Just discuss these things with your boss!

Do one thing at a time. Have a firm belief that you are going to crack the GMAT and you are going to start your MBA in the coming Fall. Do not take up some part time diploma or any such course. Concentrate all your energies on the GMAT and your work (or studies, if you are still in college). Having said that, please don't forget 2 other things - Your Hobbies and The Newspaper. Prepare for the MBA interview well in advance by knowing current affairs well.

More Later..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home